Saturday, 30 May 2015

Credit Card Imprinting Press

With minimal intervention I've modified a Datacard Addressograph credit card imprinter to be able to print very small linocuts and etchings. The initial idea came from an article by the artist Sarah Whorf but the result was far better than I expected. It's portable and convenient so I can make prints on the train (barring public outcry.)
I've improvised a stop to prevent slippage with mount board and split pins. I plan to pack the baseboard to even out the print.
At the moment instead of my usual caligo safewash oil based printng inks, I've been using Versafine oil based inkpads which work beautifully.

Rumpelstiltskin Concertina Book

This is the result of a brief for the visual narrative project in which we had to retell the Rumpelstiltskin fairytale and interpret the story using our own visual style.
For the cover I cut out the lettering by hand and glued it to a prepared gold coloured board.
I used a mixture of print and collage inside. I wanted to simplify the sequence by using a consistent medium and chose to not use text to elucidate the narrative events. I wanted there to be room for personal interpretation.
I find the concertina format allows me sufficient freedom to continue an ongoing story allowing the viewer the choice of focusing on a single panel or the entire sequence.
I assumed the viewer's prior knowledge of Rumpelstiltskin for the story to be recognisable as that particular fairytale.

Ceramic Work

12" x 12" Ceramic floor tiles sprayed with glaze and collaged with ceramic transfers.

Friday, 29 May 2015

Animation Experiment

I've worked primarily with cut out animation techniques but have recently been experimenting with 3D plasticine figures.

Heinrich the dirty naked caveman with malformed hands and feet.
I started by making rudimentary person shapes out of pipecleaners and milliput plumbers putty. I overlayed the basic skeleton with plasticine 'flesh' and googly eyes.

video 

I made this short film with objects I had to hand to get a feel for the process. Heinrich's left leg fell apart, his genitalia was fatally squashed by a gorilla and he had difficulty standing unaided. Needless to say Heinrich requires extensive rehabilitation.

Thursday, 28 May 2015

RCA Secret History

This is a selection of my many submissions for the annual RCA Secret exhibition which I've taken part in for over a decade.
 
2008
2010
2011
2013
2015

Surprise Project

This was the result of a brief from MA Sequential Design/Illustration to plan and deliver a surprise to the rest of the MA group. Since the objective was so broad I was overwhelmed by the possibilities. I kept returning to the basic definition of surprise (To cause to feel wonder, astonishment, or amazement, as at something unanticipated) instances when I'd been surprised, what I think of when I hear the word surprise. What I finally I hit upon is the notion of winning something.

After the PowerPoint I presented these £1 lucky dip toys I bought and carried out a lottery, pulling names out of a pot which meant there were three 'lucky' winners. It's the purest notion of surprise that I have; the immensity of pre-gift potentiality the moment before curiosity is satisfied. The image you build in your mind which is invariably greater than the actuality.




RCA Secret Postcard Timelapse

As part of my current MA research I decided to make a short timelapse film of myself drawing a postcard and analyse it objectively to see what it would reveal about my decision making process.

video 

I found that I'd somehow flipped the image of Tommy Steele I'd been working from without realising or intending to. It was interesting watching myself work as an onlooker would. I'd made no prior sketches or plans but I was surprised how deliberate I seemed with my choices. Once I'd put pen to paper the image seemed to resolve itself without any active intention.

The image that resulted; one of my submissions for RCA Secret 2015

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Heart Etching

I made this etching by mentally reversing an image of a human heart which was a lot harder than I envisaged. After etching the lines I overlayed it with several gradations of aquatint.
I worked texture into the shadow of the heart.
The final print.